Many businesses are not prepared to respond to a man-made or natural disaster. Statistics show that of the businesses that close because of a disaster, at least 1 in 4 never reopens. Small businesses are particularly at risk because typically they only have one location—the one that is damaged or destroyed. That’s why disaster planning is a critical part of every business’ operational objectives.
Hurricane Preparedness for Businesses
Though the Atlantic hurricane season starts each year on June 1, emergency planning should generally be a year-round priority. Business owners in hurricane-prone areas in particular should make sure they are ready for a potential storm. The following recommendations can help business owners prepare for hurricanes and tropical storms.
- Have your building(s) inspected and complete any maintenance needed to ensure your building can stand up to severe weather.
- Designate an employee to monitor weather reports and alert your team to the potential of severe weather.
- Review your business continuity plan and update as needed, including employee contact information. If you do not have a business continuity plan, consider implementing one of the several free toolkits offered by many county and state agencies.
- Remind employees of key elements of the plan, including post-event communication procedures and work/payroll procedures. Make sure all employees have a paper copy of the plan. Review emergency shutdown and start-up procedures, such as electrical systems, with appropriate personnel, including alternates.
- Power can go down from a few hours to weeks. Invest in a backup generator, test your system and establish proper contracts with fuel suppliers for emergency fuel deliveries.
- Re-inspect and replenish emergency supplies inventory, since emergency supplies are often used during the offseason for non-emergency situations.
- Test all life safety equipment.
- Conduct training/simulation exercises for both your business continuity and emergency preparedness/response plans.
If you have not invested in a reliable backup power solution for your business now it’s the time to do it. Call or email us today and we will help you get a dependable generator set suitable for your facility size and applications.